Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Second Walk: Ouabache Trails Park




The Second Walk: Ouabache Trails Park
January 18, 2015



At last, I was able to get back out to Ouabache Trails Park, my favorite local natural area, for the first time since The Ankle Incident in early October.
Richard went with me on that Sunday afternoon Winter Wandering. I felt better having someone with me this first time back. I had walked our home woods on January 2 (my first nature walk since October) by myself, but Ouabache Trails is much larger, the hills are taller and steeper, and it is about eight miles of so from our home.

We started on Trail 3, a short but hilly one. It dips down to Trail 4, perpendicular to Trail 3. Trail 4 overlooks the big creek and runs all along the upper edge. One can eventually wind left on Trail 4 to the park road or turn right and walk the large bridge over the creek, then take the meandering Trail 5 to the road. We chose the second option, as we wanted to get over to Trail 7, our favorite area in the park.



Along Trail 3 we found leaves of Puttyroot Orchid. There are a great number of Puttyroot in the park forest. These pin-striped leaves will dry and shrivel away in May as the new flower stalk rises.
It was good to see them again.


  Steps down a Trail 2 slope as seen from Trail 3


False Rue Anemone seedling. 
 The blooms will be profuse this spring, especially along Trail 4.


 The big creek below Trail 4, as seen from the big bridge, a good place to watch wildlife from water to sky.


After the bridge, we wound along Trail 5 to the road, which we crossed. There we met with Trail 6, a linear trail across a slope, perpendicular to the circle road below.

The end of Trail 6 took us to the start of Trail 7, near Sacajawea Shelter House. Here began our favorite trail, down to the creek and wetland, then up into the highest hills in the park.


  
Trail 7 lowland and creek, looking upstream. I always find it interesting to follow this creek all the way up to the park property line, near the creek's origin from springs on the other side of the fence.




 Trail 7 wetland and creek, looking downstream. This is one of my favorite views in the park, which I often photograph. It is not only a beautiful spot full of wildlife, but also the mood of the view reminds me of the wild places of my childhood. I plan to follow this creek along its whole route this year to see where it empties.

Now, across the creek and up into the hills:


 Messy old nest along Trail 7


A new Puttyroot Orchid leaf below last year's stalk, with seed pods


 Winter canopy along Trail 7, with young American Beech leaves from last fall



Pileated Woodpeckers are active in these hills. We found evidence of their work in a rotten tree – a hole gouged out while the bird searched for bugs and worms, and a pile of wood chips below. We heard various woodpeckers calling and knocking on wood.


 Richard coming to the top of the tallest hill. 
Somewhere in the distance, well below, is the Wabash River.


 Tree shadow stripes n the upper Trail 7 hills.
 Beyond that horizon is the adjacent farm land.

Patches of green moss showed through the old leaf layer and on the bases of some trees.

The weather over the winter had often been very cold, but there was never any significant snow fall.

  Richard takes in the view as we follow Trail 7, winding back around toward the creek area.

Ironically, Richard used a walking stick the whole time, and I did not. It is my habit to not use a stick, and a sign of good healing that I did not need one that day.


 The last view of the upper Trail 7 hills before heading back down




For myself, it was a successful first walk back at Ouabache Trails Park, and a good test. Though it was a momentous occasion, somehow we never took a photo of me on that day.

Richard especially enjoyed getting away from “people noise” and commotion, and having a good stretch of the legs on a cold winter day.
I was especially glad to return to one of my favorite places, and happy about the prospect of many more walks here, and other places, throughout the year.

I look forward to more adventures and challenges this year, which will include a trip with a friend to the prairies of Kansas and the mountains of Colorado.

********************************************************
 
In February, we had a great deal of snow and ice. I would love to have seen Ouabache Trails Park during that time, but the conditions prevented me from negotiating our country roads or even, at times, our driveway.

I am just happy to have gotten through it all without another mishap.
(Knock on wood ...)


1 comment: